Moon Sand Gone Wrong = Sandy Oobleck

28 October


I attempted to make some moon sand (based on this recipe from Domestic Charm) for a solar system sensory bin, but it went horribly wrong.  I added 4 cups of sand, 2 cups of cornstarch, and a cup of water like it said, and all I got was soup.  So I added 4 more cups of sand and 2 more cups of water.....still soup.  I let it settle a bit and poured half a cup of liquid off the top! Still it was more like sandy oobleck then moon sand.  Apparently my sand was much too wet for the moon sand.  I suppose it was a good idea, but it seems too messy to add anything to.  I will come up with something else for our solar system.  However, this sandy oobleck would not go to waste!

After I drained off the excess water.
Of course I let the kids play with it! Nathan played with it a bit too; although he kept saying, "It's so weird."  Eli especially seemed to enjoy picking it up and having it run through his fingers.  It was certainly a lot coarser then regular oobleck, but it maintains its original properties.




The "hangers" were stuck.
I think Eli would have played all day!


I guess it turned out pretty fun anyhow!


Follow along, so you don't miss a post! 

  follow life with moore babies on facebook follow life with moore babies on pinterest follow life with moorebabies on Instagram follow life with moore babies RSS Feed follow life with moore babies through twitter follow life with moore babies through email follow life with moore babies through Google+ follow life with moore babies on stumbleupon

You Might Also Like

13 comments